In a statement released moments ago, the Americans Elect organization has announced that since no candidate was able to successfully qualify for the first round of their online caucus, the organization will not field a candidate for President in 2012.
Having secured ballot access in roughly 30 states, and well on track to achieve 50 state access, this announcement is a huge blow to anyone hoping to see a centrist or reform third party ticket emerge…
There is a desire among Delegates and millions of Americans who have supported Americans Elect to see a credible candidate emerge from this process.
However, the rules, as developed in consultation with the Americans Elect Delegates, are clear. As of this week, no candidate achieved the national support threshold required to enter the Americans Elect Online Convention in June. The primary process for the Americans Elect nomination has come to an end.
Americans Elect, from the outset, has been a rules-based process, with the rules publicly available and open to debate by the Delegates. Our key priorities have been to: 1) honor the trust Americans Elect has built with the Delegates and American public; 2) require candidates to earn the nomination by building support among the Americans Elect Delegate community and American voters; and 3) create a basis for a solid future for the Americans Elect movement.
This decision honors these priorities.
Through the efforts of thousands of staffers, volunteers, and leadership, Americans Elect has achieved its operational goals, including:
– Creating a pathway for nationwide ballot access for a balanced presidential ticket unaffiliated with the nominating process of either major party to compete in the 2012 race;
– Building the technological platform for the first nonpartisan secure national online primary at AmericansElect.org;
– Attracting a significant base of more than 4 million supporters, including Delegates, petition signers and volunteers;
– Educating the national and local media on the Americans Elect mission; and
– Finishing an extensive candidate briefing program involving more than 100 potential candidates.
As always, we thank everyone who has helped build this organization and are grateful for the work, efforts, and trust so many people have placed in Americans Elect. We are continuing the Americans Elect mission of creating more choice in our political system, giving candidates unaffiliated with the nominating process of either major party an authentic way to run for office and giving the American people a greater voice in our political process.